Matthew Sachs, MD
Dr. Matthew Sachs is a Virginia Beach native-born, raised, and educated in the Virginia Beach public school system. He is married to his wonderful wife Jenny who is also a psychologist. His son Sam loves sports, reading, and dogs, and aspires (right now) to be an eye doctor for animals. Dr. Sachs is proud to have pursued higher education at the University of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, and Harvard University.
He is double-boarded in Adult and Child & Adolescent Psychiatry in Virginia and North Carolina. Dr. Sachs likes working with patients of all ages, and he combines therapy with medication management in his sessions. When not working, you might find him with his family at a water park or on the ski slope. He plans to be in the area for years to come, and he is proud to serve his community.
- Masters of Public Health (M.P.H.) in Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, 2007.
- Master’s in Business Administration (M.B.A.), Umass-Amherst, 2016.
- Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (Formerly Medical College of Virginia – M.C.V.), Richmond, VA, 2006.
- Bachelors of Arts (B.A.) in Interdisciplinary Studies, specialization in Atmospheric Chemistry, with distinction. University of Virginia, 2001.
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship, University of Virginia, 2012.
- Adult Psychiatry Residency, University of Virginia, 2010.
- Certified ADHD Professional Clinical Provider, 2021.
- Top Psychiatrist -- Top Doctor – 2021
- Top Psychiatrist -- Top Doctor -- 2019
- Top 100 US Physicians – 2018
- America’s Top Psychiatrists -- 2015
- Member, American College of Physician Executives
- Member, American Psychiatric Association
- Member, American Association of Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists
- Member, Medical Society of Virginia
- Member, Psychiatric Society of Virginia
- Lillian and Stewart Moore Scholarship: Full Academic Recruitment Scholarship to Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, 2002-2006.
- UVA Medical Alumni Board of Directors, 2010-2011
- UVA Dept of Psychiatry Residency Training Committee, 2009-2010
- UVA Fellow Top Researcher Award, 2012
- UVA Young Scientist Research Award, “Links Between the Weather and Psychiatric Disorders,” 2008
- UVA Representative, Medical Society of Virginia, 2008-2009
- UVA Health Systems, Internal Review Committee, Psychiatry Representative, 2008
- Student Doctor, Physicians for Peace, Managua, Nicaragua, 2005
- Scholarship, Betty Ford Summer Institute for Medical Students, 2004
- Faculty Senate Undergraduate Research Award, 2001
- Echols Scholar: the University of Virginia, 1997-2001
- Graduated with Distinction from UVA, 2001
- Phi Beta Kappa, 2000
- Dean’s List, 1997-2001